[ExI] 11 numbers that are cooler than pi

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 16:09:54 UTC 2022

On Tue, 15 Mar 2022 at 15:56, Darin Sunley via extropy-chat

> They left out my favorite: Chaitin's "Omega".
> It encodes which Turing machines halt.
> I think that might be sufficient to define the computational nature of the mathematical universe.

Hey!  You need to include an explanation for us poor benighted mortals
that have never heard of this. :)

<https://mathworld.wolfram.com/ChaitinsConstant.html>
Quote:
A Chaitin's constant, also called a Chaitin omega number, introduced
by Chaitin (1975), is the halting probability of a universal
prefix-free (self-delimiting) Turing machine. Every Chaitin constant
is simultaneously computably enumerable (the limit of a computable,
increasing, converging sequence of rationals), and algorithmically
random (its binary expansion is an algorithmic random sequence), hence
uncomputable (Chaitin 1975).

BillK