[ExI] Nobody knows the true colors of things, on this day of color.

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 20:34:03 UTC 2022

On Mar 19, 2022, at 9:04 PM, Rafal Smigrodzki via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 2:39 PM Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
>>
>> Michael Watkins endorses the Moorean view that colors are simple, non-reducible, properties of objects.
>
> ### This is silly. If somebody is colorfully hallucinating, which object's colors is he perceiving? If I press on my eye at night I can trigger the perception of phosphenes (have you done? try it, just a little pressure on the eye through the eyelids will create moving greenish rings). Is this greenish color the color of my eyes? My fingers? My eyelids? Other objects?

I haven’t read the book through yet, though I suspect he’s _not_ ignorant of the phenomenon you mention.

And since his ideas are seen as Moorean — after the philosophy of G. E. Moore — I’m guessing he would have a means of distinguishing between ‘normal’ perception and stuff like afterimages, double vision, chromatic aberrations. Any philosopher or perceptual psychologist writing in the last two hundred years or so would almost certainly be aware of these issues — or would have to be to be taken seriously.

Regards,

Dan