[ExI] Nobody knows the true colors of things, on this day of color.

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 03:47:24 UTC 2022

On Sun, Mar 20, 2022 at 4:37 PM Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat <

> On Mar 19, 2022, at 9:04 PM, Rafal Smigrodzki via extropy-chat <
>
> On Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 2:39 PM Dan TheBookMan via extropy-chat <
>

> Michael Watkins endorses the Moorean view that colors are simple,
>> non-reducible, properties of objects.
>

> ### This is silly. If somebody is colorfully hallucinating, which object's
> colors is he perceiving? If I press on my eye at night I can trigger the
> perception of phosphenes (have you done? try it, just a little pressure on
> the eye through the eyelids will create moving greenish rings). Is this
> greenish color the color of my eyes? My fingers? My eyelids? Other objects?
>

> I haven’t read the book through yet, though I suspect he’s _not_ ignorant
> of the phenomenon you mention.
>
> And since his ideas are seen as Moorean — after the philosophy of G. E.
> Moore — I’m guessing he would have a means of distinguishing between
> ‘normal’ perception and stuff like afterimages, double vision, chromatic
> aberrations. Any philosopher or perceptual psychologist writing in the last
> two hundred years or so would almost certainly be aware of these issues —
> or would have to be to be taken seriously.

### Well, yes, he would have to address the objection I raised, which was
doubtless raised by countless others.  Taken at face value, the statement
"colors are simple, non-reducible, properties of objects" is just inane, so
I agree that there should be some more sophisticated explanation somewhere
in the book.

Do give us an update once you find it.

Rafal