[ExI] gas prices

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 03:35:55 UTC 2022

On Sun, Mar 20, 2022 at 10:19 AM <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:

> [...]
integrated into the frunk lid, minimal vibration thanks to using a
free-piston design. The free piston generator is much lighter than
conventional engine-generator combos. It's doable, as long as you accept
low speed, which is OK in a back-up you use only infrequently. Five gallon
fuel capacity should be enough for a couple of hundred miles, after all you
are hypermiling in a very efficient car.
 --------------------------

> Ah glad you asked.  If one is a clever designer, it wouldn’t be obvious
> that you were hauling a dinosaur burner back there.  I included some weight
> for a sincere sound-suppression system, which would be about 40 pounds.
> Since the rig would only run while you are underway (air-cooled engine
> would have inadequate cooling for stationary use) the tire noise would
> cover the suppressed racket.  If one wanted to take it to a kind of silly
> extreme, a fuel tank could be dressed up to look like a two really big
> suitcases or a toolbox.  Even the filler could be stealth-ized if you
> wanted to, but I am good at living down shame.  The other Tesla-ers would
> know what you are doing and understand.  I don’t want to spend 100k on a
> car that isn’t practical for cross country runs.

### Well, yes, I agree you are painting an alluring picture. A streamlined
trailer in the inimitable Tesla style, masquerading as a cargo carrier,
with hidden power generation and even some actual cargo capacity, this
could be a very viable product, especially since it would be much less
limiting on your driving style than the cut-down generator I propose.

I think there might be a market for either design.

Rafal