[ExI] emotional deficits in sci-fi

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 17:00:19 UTC 2022

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 7:56 AM William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat <

> When did you ever read of a character fainting?  Having a panic attack?
> Running away?  Or any other sign of great fear?
>
> Apparently nearly all of the characters are heroes of some sort who just
> don't show fear.

 Because it is less interesting to read about people who react with fear.
Fear rarely solves problems (though it does create them).  Leaving problems
unsolved means there is little if any plot.

There is room for fear early on in a story, when the problems are being set
up.  And that is when I've read of people running away, et al.  But only at
first.