[ExI] 27 psychedelics??

Henry Rivera hrivera at alumni.virginia.edu
Sat Mar 26 16:49:23 UTC 2022

Quick note just to avoid confusion: Few will argue that opiates are performance enhancing or mind-expanding. My experience is they are mind-numbing and a sedative.

In contrast, many by now have heard about the famous no-hitter game by Dock Ellis while on LSD (and amphetamines). He was not intending to trip and play ball that day btw. In his own words: https://youtu.be/_vUhSYLRw14

Re. opiates, however, I recommend my psychologist colleague’s best-selling book to everyone, Drug Use for Grown-Ups by Carl Hart, wherein he admits to being a highly functional daily heroin user all while he is a prestigious researcher and Department Chair at Columbia. He shatters stereotypes and preconceptions of what an opiate user looks like. Most don’t know that around 90% of opioid users do not develop the problems that lead to a Dependence (aka addiction) diagnosis. Another way to put this is the vast majority of heroin users do not have impaired functioning and problems related to their use. People who know this are are scared to say it loudly because they say it will lead to more experimentation and use. I disagree as most people I’ve talked to about say they still have no interest in trying heroin after learning this. Same answer if heroin were made legal—most wouldn’t be rushing out to try it. Anyway, Drug Use for Grown-Ups: Chasing Liberty in the Land of Fear is a great book.

-Henry