[ExI] Michio Kaku makes 3 predictions about the future

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Sun Mar 27 05:11:31 UTC 2022

Quoting Darin Sunley <dsunley at gmail.com>:

> Message: 3
> Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2022 14:22:23 -0600
> From: To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
> Subject: Re: [ExI] Message-ID:
> 	<CAEptUkRZQ0z-W+hEyU7i8HP1+okrQHrdXf6TbLZFEiNBEuou2Q at mail.gmail.com>
>
> Mars has gravity, and large amounts of free mass [soil] for radiation
> shielding, located at the bottom of a gravity well [boo!] that's
> conveniently shallow enough that we can build a space elevator using
> materials technology that actually exists [yay!].
> That isn't nothing.

Agreed. Mars is likely to become a massive robotic manufacturing
center for all kinds of durable goods. Mars has abundant ore for a
variety of useful metals including sufficient uranium reserves that
the Trump administration has issued a policy directive prohibiting
NASA from building breeder reactors on Mars for fear of nuclear
weapons enabled by Highly Enriched uranium.

https://physicstoday.scitation.org/do/10.1063/PT.6.2.20201223a/full/

While I don't see human cities thriving on Mars in the near term, I do
certainly see people setting up gigantic nuclear-powered automated
industrial parks, with a small cadre of highly-paid engineers and
technicians doing several month long tours of duty there managing and
repairing the robots that are building everything the
environmentalists and NIMBYs find too polluting or dangerous to build
here on Earth. There are no spotted owls to wring your hands over on
Mars.

Stuart LaForge