[ExI] Michio Kaku makes 3 predictions about the future

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 10:19:10 UTC 2022

On Sat, 26 Mar 2022 at 20:46, spike jones via extropy-chat

> BillK, the conclusion above assumes the generated power is used as electric
> power.  Problem: there is insufficient market for electric power in that
> area.  Note this is a persistent problem: areas well suited for wind and
> solar power generation are generally not densely populated.
>
> All is not lost however, for there are power-hungry processes which can be
> performed on-site, then the refined products sold.
>
> Consider a process used by South Africa in World War 2.  They had little oil
> but plenty of coal, so they used the coal to make fuel.  Problem: the
> process uses up most of the coal, for it burns coal to get the energy to
> convert the remaining coal to fuel.  The process is very inefficient.
> However... with sufficiently abundant supplies of electrical energy,
> supplied by solar panels, coal can be converted to liquid fuels, then the
> liquid fuels shipped to anywhere on the planet.  All that South African coal
> could be shipped to the Sahara, converted there using solar power, then off
> it goes to fuel vehicles or whatever else we need.
>
> spike

Very large solar panel installations create a heat-island effect.
Covering over 20% of the Sahara (or the equivalent elsewhere) will
create so much heat that it will affect the world climate.
See:
<https://theconversation.com/solar-panels-in-sahara-could-boost-renewable-energy-but-damage-the-global-climate-heres-why-153992>
Quote:
If these effects were only local, they might not matter in a sparsely
populated and barren desert. But the scale of the installations that
would be needed to make a dent in the world’s fossil energy demand
would be vast, covering thousands of square kilometres. Heat
re-emitted from an area this size will be redistributed by the flow of
air in the atmosphere, having regional and global effects on the
climate.

Also:
<https://medium.com/predict/why-dont-we-cover-the-sharah-in-solar-panels-3692a5bf89bd>
Quote:
Why Don’t We Cover the Sahara In Solar Panels?
The answer to our power needs seems so simple, right?
Will Lockett    Mar 8, 2021

Like most good things, some is nice but too much becomes a problem.

BillK