[ExI] 27 psychedelics??

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Sun Mar 27 14:51:31 UTC 2022

No, I reject the idea that you are an expert.

It's one thing if the drugs only have physiological effects, even if it's
not ideal since you don't understand what the side effects feel like.  You
can still feel confident about their effects in a functionalist sense.  But
for psychoactive drugs, I think prescribers being inexperienced in their
actual effects is one of the reasons so many drugs are wrongly prescribed.
It's insane to me that--having actually taken amphetamines, for
example--someone could prescribe amphetamines without having experienced
the effects.  Because without having taken them, I am confident in saying
you have NO CLUE what they actually do.  The behavioral observations and
the physiological data tell like 1% of the story when it comes to what
these drugs do.  Some drugs are just about the physiological data, ok it
lowers blood pressure, here ya go.  No problem.  But it honestly disgusts
me that doctors prescribe amphetamine without knowing what it actually
does.  And I would bet a large sum of money that if you tried amphetamine,
you would be a lot more conservative in the amount of people you prescribe
it to.

Yes, I am shitting on your expertise and education, because I think they
haven't actually prepared you to responsibly prescribe psychoactive
medications.  At the very least prescribers should be required to consult a
self-bioassaying drug geek like myself who actually knows what these drugs
do.

On Sun, Mar 27, 2022 at 3:43 AM Rafal Smigrodzki via extropy-chat <