[ExI] 27 psychedelics??

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 03:13:35 UTC 2022

And I guess as a follow-up to that little paragraph I would ask WHY doctors
DON'T try the psychoactive drugs they prescribe.  Awful side effects are
usually rare, especially if you just try them once to see what they feel
like.  And if you're that scared of the effects, how could you feel
comfortable prescribing them so freely?  For someone who cares about
intelligence, science, and information, you think it would be a no-brainer
to gain that wealth of new information by taking the drug--information you
literally cannot possibly obtain elsewhere, since it is essentially pure
qualia.  To come back to the color example, imagine you had a pill that let
greyscale-seers see color for the first time, and yet you had no idea what
color looked like.  You're telling me you wouldn't take the drug just to be
more knowledgeable?  Why?  Fear?  Decades of brainwashing education?  Pure
stubbornness?  I just don't understand.  It's not that scary or difficult
to try a mild dose of a drug.  Refusing to experience these things, if one
is dealing in them, should be considered an overt mark against that
practitioner.  Not singling you out; this applies to everyone, in my
opinion.  I would consider it equal to or perhaps worse than a doctor who
refused to read a chapter in a textbook about a drug he or she was
prescribing, or refused to attend a seminar on the newest medical
technique, but uses it anyway.  You simply cannot understand these drugs
without doing them.

It's sad because I would say you could pick a random, middlingly
intelligent amphetamine user off the street and they would have just as
much to offer in counseling someone on the use of amphetamine as a doctor
who prescribes it.  THAT is how much information is contained in the
experience itself.  Of course, this means that a doctor who is also
experienced in these drugs is the clear paragon of knowledge--I'm not
saying that it isn't extremely useful, and necessary, for a doctor to know
how drugs work and how they move throughout the body.  I just think the
experience is as important.  The great thing is, you don't need to go to
school for 8 years for that part; the tough part is already done.  All you
have to do is give yourself the experience.  And then you will be more of
an expert than any doctor who hasn't had the experience.