[ExI] video which changed my perspective

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Mon Mar 28 13:05:22 UTC 2022

On Sun, March 27, 2022 23:43, spike jones via extropy-chat wrote:

> I understand there are plenty of functional addicts, however we don’t see
> them.  We see the dysfunctional addicts.  I see vastly insufficient payoff
> for the visible risk in any of it.  I have a great time without it,
> without any of it including alcohol.  I have a lot of fun inside this
> head, more than I deserve.  I will not risk that to see if there is still
> more fun with some kind of chemical additive.

I don't live anywhere near San Fran, but I've seen dysfunctional addicts
and ordinary people just experimenting.

Back in the 60s when I was in school there were plenty of kids trying out
various things.  It was so bad to watch that even as a rather thoughtless
20-something I decided that I did *not* want to go there, to be trying
whatever it was they were taking.  My college experience led me to become
the designated driver,  as the other guys scared me stiff.

Alcohol was tricky enough, thanks very much.  At present I know people of
retirement age trying to wean themselves from that - and having terrible
trouble.  So glad I made the choices I did.

If I missed something wonderful, at least I didn't fall into that pit.

YMMV.

Regards,
MB