[ExI] Michio Kaku makes 3 predictions about the future

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 15:21:55 UTC 2022

On Mon, 28 Mar 2022 at 15:22, spike jones via extropy-chat

<snip>

> Ja, but it does not need to stay a chaotic third world situation forever, and I am predicting that it will not.  A developed nation (or in China’s case a perpetually developing nation) can buy a territory, defend it, convert it, enrich it, develop the hell out of it, create jobs, establish order from chaos.  We have plenty of examples of it in history everywhere on the planet.
>
> Me too.  They are well-suited for many applications.  We can have an electrified economy and still use some liquid fuels for some purposes.  What I have envisioned is supplying most of humanity’s energy needs using solar energy collected in the currently barren, deserted Sahara and transmitted everywhere in the form of synthetic octane and Diesel carried on well-defended ships.
>
> spike

China is busy installing solar power in their Gobi desert and other
desert areas in the west of their country with plans going up to 2025.
So probably it will be at least a few years before they do much in the Sahara
(if ever).

<https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/chinas-solar-power-capacity-set-record-increase-2022-industry-body-2022-02-23/>
Quotes:
China's solar power capacity set for record increase in 2022
February 23, 2022

China is expected to add 75 to 90 gigawatts (GW) of solar power in
2022, its solar manufacturing association said on Wednesday, far
higher than a record increase in capacity last year.

The world's biggest solar products maker and solar power generator
brought 54.88 GW of new solar power into operation in 2021, taking the
total installed capacity to 306 GW despite a supply disruption of raw
materials.

China could add an average of 83 to 99 GW of new capacity each year
during 2022 to 2025, said Wang Bohua, honorary chairman of the China
Photovoltaic Industry Association (CPIA), at a conference.

Projects to build more large-scale solar stations in the Gobi and
other desert regions in the west are also in the pipeline, with
construction for about 100 GW of solar power capacity already under
way in the area.