[ExI] video which changed my perspective

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue Mar 29 13:44:23 UTC 2022

…> On Behalf Of Will Steinberg via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] video which changed my perspective

>…  The science is clear, the anecdotes are clear, everything is clear--psychedelics are massively useful tools for lots of things.  For helping in therapy with trauma, end-of-life fear…

It occurred to me we might be asking the wrong question here.  I listened to the commentary and had an idea.  I am good at introspection (it is my favorite brand of spection)  so I asked myself why.  I hear the description of the payoff: colorful rooms with incense, Persian rugs, naked nymph feeding me honeydew, silken floor pillows and so forth, and ask myself if I care about any of that.  Answer: noooooo.  OK partial retraction: the naked nymph part sounds cool, but if my bride caught me doing it she would kick my ass until it is between my shoulders.

But it caused my focus to shift on the part about sitting is a gray drab room.  I don’t.  My room is normal and I do sit, but I have a lotta fun in here.  I don’t have end of life fear (I might at some point, but I don’t now.)  I don’t have trauma, anxiety, I am not depressed as far as I can tell.

Well then, I get it.  These medications work for some people.  I am not one of them.  I am one of the lucky ones: I don’t need to take the risk.  I like things the way they are.  I like being me.  I am good at being me.  My favorite cartoon guy is Tigger from Winnie the Pooh.  Being me is what I do best.  Acid is for Eeyore.  Reality is for Tigger.