[ExI] video which changed my perspective

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 14:31:13 UTC 2022

On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 at 14:48, spike jones via extropy-chat

<snip>

> Well then, I get it.  These medications work for some people.  I am not one of them.  I am one of the lucky ones: I don’t need to take the risk.  I like things the way they are.  I like being me.  I am good at being me.  My favorite cartoon guy is Tigger from Winnie the Pooh.  Being me is what I do best.  Acid is for Eeyore.  Reality is for Tigger.
>
> spike

This discussion reminds me strongly of the religious conversion experience.
Something happens in the brain where people have an overwhelming
transcendental experience that shatters previous beliefs and
transforms them. They feel that 'God' or something outside themselves
changed them. They often become ardent supporters, trying to convert
others to their new way of life.
The experience cannot be denied, as it happens to far too many people.
And throughout history, people have tried different drugs and drinks
to get that experience.

What it all means I'll leave to others to discuss.

BillK