[ExI] Review - TED interview with Elon Musk re Twitter takeover

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun May 1 17:54:06 UTC 2022

On Sun, 1 May 2022 at 18:24, spike jones via extropy-chat

> Thx BillK, the reason (one of the reasons) I am optimistic is that with Twitter, a user chooses which twitterer she wishes to follow.  In that sense, she creates a custom filter and can make her space as safe or as dangerous as she wishes.
>
> Second: even with its 35k human moderators, Twitter was making some appalling mistakes.  They "proactively blocked" a guy who currently has eeeiiiighty niiiine miiiilllllion freaking followers.  It isn't even political: he is not eligible for high office, he's African American.  Not born here, can't run for POTUS so that isn't it.  Twitter proactively filtered a guy who now has nearly half the twitterverse following him, while allowing posts which openly call for violence.
>
>  spike

Em, excuse me, it is Facebook that has 35,000 moderators. Their
moderation failed because of the billions of posts they had to moderate.
Twitter moderation failed because it just wasn't much bothered about doing
moderation. Free speech, you know.....

BillK

BillK