[ExI] The relevance of glutamate in color experience

Rafal Smigrodzki rafal.smigrodzki at gmail.com
Tue May 3 01:15:22 UTC 2022

On Mon, May 2, 2022 at 3:44 PM Brent Allsop via extropy-chat <

> Stathis, as usual, we are always talking about completely different things.
>
> The prediction is that for each redness pixel of our knowledge of the
> surface of a strawberry, there must be something that has that redness
> quality.  Nothing will be able to produce that redness quality for that one
> pixel, other than that set of physics, an example being glutamate.  And the
> system must be able to detect, when the pixel changes, and it must be able
> to act differently, when it does change.  The neural substitution doesn't
> allow for that redness to be anything, even something functional, for the
> same reason, so is just an absurd argument.

### Hey, so we-all are using an "absurd argument"? Does it mean you think
we are stupid, since it's mostly stupid people who use absurd arguments?

So how stupid is it to say that "glutamate has a redness quality"?. There
are over twenty thousand distinct molecular species present in the
color-perception cortex. Why not the redness quality of any other molecule?
Why not say the water in the brain has a redness quality? What about the
redness quality of glutamate in your Chinese takeout?

Rafal