[ExI] The irony of funding and non-funding transhumanism

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed May 4 20:09:11 UTC 2022

On Wed, 4 May 2022 at 20:42, Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat

> One moment I'm looking over a proposal for a H+ DAO, seeing all the signs that it is hype and will not fund any actual new technology, though the effort itself will likely achieve its requested funding.
>
> The next moment I'm talking with some colleagues about an idea for a living CubeSat - a demonstration of a created organism in space, actually intended as a science project to advance the state of the art but perhaps justified as an orbital garbage collector (something that can eat space debris) - and noting it is unlikely to reach the attention of anyone who would actually fund it.
>
> What's a fellow to do?  Spike, anyone, any suggestions?

The Pentagon is funding companies to develop orbital garbage collectors.

<https://www.space.com/space-force-space-debris-orbital-prime-plan>
<https://spacewerx.us/space-prime/>
Quote:
US Space Force's 'Orbital Prime' project aims to attack space debris
by recycling or removing junk
By Elizabeth Howell published February 06, 2022
The military branch wants to test on-orbit systems within two to four
years with it Orbital Prime project.
---------

BillK