[ExI] Is Artificial Life Conscious?

Stathis Papaioannou stathisp at gmail.com
Thu May 5 18:59:20 UTC 2022

On Fri, 6 May 2022 at 02:36, Brent Allsop via extropy-chat <

> On Wed, May 4, 2022 at 6:49 PM Stathis Papaioannou via extropy-chat <
>
>> I think colourness qualities are what the human behaviour associated with
>> distinguishing between colours, describing them, reacting to them
>> emotionally etc. is seen from inside the system. If you make a physical
>> change to the system and perfectly reproduce this behaviour, you will also
>> necessarily perfectly reproduce the colourness qualities.
>>

> An abstract description of the behavior of redness can perfectly capture
> 100% of the behavior, one to one, isomorphically perfectly modeled.  Are
> you saying that since you abstractly reproduce 100% of the behavior, that
> you have duplicated the quale?

Here is where I end up misquoting you because I don’t understand what
exactly you mean by “abstract description”. But the specific example I have
used is that if you perfectly reproduce the physical effect of glutamate on
the rest of the brain using a different substrate, and glutamate is
involved in redness qualia, then you necessarily also reproduce the redness
qualia. This is because if it were not so, it would be possible to grossly
change the qualia without the subject noticing any change, which is absurd.

> --
Stathis Papaioannou