[ExI] eating what you need

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Fri May 13 21:03:57 UTC 2022

When DS was little we put food on the highchair tray: meat, pasta,
broccoli, cookie, piece of apple, etc.  All at one time, just there, not
even on a dish.  He ate.  We were interested that he did not choose the
cookie first.  He ate bits of this, and a bite of that, and then something
else.

DD was another story.  Half of what was on her tray was met with "I don't
like that" and she would eat nothing until the offending food was removed.
 It was most distressing.  We could have been more "together" and refused
to remove anything, let her work around it, but we didn't think of that,
we just wanted her to quit complaining throughout the meal.

They both grew up ok and will eat all sorts of foods now, and neither one
was overweight as a child.  Part of that may have been lack of
between-meal snacks.  Food was not a battle I wanted to fight with them.
Bad childhood memories haunted me, a classic picky eater.

There are foods I fear to buy because I will gorge on them until they are
*all* gone.  Crackers, cheddar popcorn, potato chips.  The newer thing of
single-serving packets suits me well.  ;)

Regards,
MB