[ExI] tennis

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Tue May 17 02:45:58 UTC 2022

…> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Subject: [ExI] tennis

>…Is anyone on this list a serious tennis player?  I would like to have a few words with you.

>…bill w

Funny aside Billw.  That’s what my mother used to say when she was about to chew my ass over something: I would like to have a few words with you.  That always meant she would be saying them and we would be receiving them.  We always knew that means the annoyometer needle zoomed past the annoyed, exasperated, irked and irritated regions, and has slammed against the sincerely pissed peg.  So when I read your comment, my first thought was:  Eh?  Whats wrong with playing serious tennis?  It’s good exercise, doesn’t cost much, doesn’t risk wrecking anything.

Then: Oh wait, retract, Billw wants to literally exchange a few actual words (not necessarily acrimonious or caustic ones) with a serious tennis player, OK no worries, carry on, tennis lads.

8^D

Another funny aside: the 1950 census just came out last month.  I have been in genealogy a long time.  Saw the 1920 census published (1992) then the 1930, then the 1940.  Each time, 72 years after it was created, each time it answered and created a lotta new questions, each time it caused an uproar, and I always wondered what was the big deal?  So you geezers are public domain now, sheesh, don’t have a cow, etc.

Well… last month the 1950 census came out, and this time I damn well do know what is the big deal.  Now I kinda agree, 72 years is probably not long enough to keep that wrapped up.  The needle on the annoyometer is hovering near the old sincerely pissed peg over some information in the 1950 census that my alive-and-well cousins would prefer would not become public.  Today, there are a loooootta lotta people who are living and perfectly healthy who suddenly are unwillingly public domain.

If you get feeling we are not making progress as a species, do ponder that last sentence.