[ExI] art thru careful planning

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu May 19 01:07:22 UTC 2022

For the math fans among us, you can calculate to get this shot, Peter woulda had to be about 9 miles away.  The moon is about half a degree and you can get the dimensions of the Lick Observatory complex, then do the scaling:

Lunar eclipse over Lick Observatory | I headed to the Sierra… | Flickr <https://www.flickr.com/photos/peterthoeny/52077343460/?fbclid=IwAR22aEl1QRggDLGynwLWFOtEtP4cO3rTbPz1ZXHsu5Z0dNdIffjOVUecxU8>

Everything had to work out just perfectly for this: a calm very clear evening over San Jose, trail access, cool as all get out.

I am thinking of trying a closer shot such that the main refractor dome on Mount Ham would span about a quarter of a degree.  But it won’t match that eclipse photo Peter took, heh.

spike