[ExI] Truth has a liberal bias [elon on twitter]

Dan TheBookMan danust2012 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 18:44:02 UTC 2022

On Nov 3, 2022, at 9:23 AM, spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:
> [...]

I don’t deny conspiracies in general, though the particular person I mentioned was an Alex Jones listener. Note how you switched that to ‘Alex Jones crowd’ dismissively. Do you believe the Boston marathon bombing was a false flag? How about Sandy Hook? How about George Soros: do you believe he was a Nazi collaborator? Or do you think that there’s any credibility to the view that Obama is a Muslim? That’s all stuff on Alex Jones’ show and my friend if he doesn’t believe it tells me one must have an open mind. (Notably, he doesn’t keep an open mind about anti-GOP conspiracies, such as Trump might be a Russian agent or Putin might be blackmailing Trump with videos of Trump being peed on by hookers. And none of those get traction with Alex Jones anyhow. There’s a definite Rightward tilt to what whacky conspiracy is viewed as credible.)

Sure, conspiracy’s happen and the FBI is certain known for its various operations that should be viewed as a threat to freedom….

You mention only one the ones generally have traction with conservatives and Republicans. (I know you claim to be a libertarian, but deviate toward conservative and Republican stuff. Or I’ve never seen you say, ‘the Democrats or liberals or progressive are definitely right about this while the Republicans (or conservatives or alt right) are ideology blind to it.’) How about many uses by the FBI of informants as agents provocateur, especially in Mosques after 9/11? How about the FBI spying on peace activists from the Vietnam Era to today?

The FBI’s abuses are not recent. They extend back to its formation, in fact. But it’s kind of Right wing talking point that the FBI has been morally pure until recent years (either with Biden or with Obama). No mention of how removing the few safeguards against the FBI running amok — remember a certain Republican president doing so in the early 2000s — maybe wasn’t such a good idea.

Side note: How many FBI directors have been Democrats? The only one I’m aware served a mere 71 days as acting director. The rest were all Republicans. Why is that? (This isn’t to blame the GOP. The Democratic Party has played second fiddle to the GOP on expanding federal police powers and abuses. The American police state is a bipartisan project. But, notably, the more Left a Democrat is, the less likely they’re to support this. Moderates like Biden, Clinton, and Obama helped to add to the police state, but folks AOC don’t. So it’s really an example of how far to the Right American mainstream politics are.)

Regards,

Dan