[ExI] us

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Nov 10 21:59:37 UTC 2022

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Sent: Thursday, 10 November, 2022 1:32 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] us

Why will losing Florida and a few percent of the land along the coastal areas cause the world to end?  Anyone? spike

>…Spike, you talk as if these people were human versions of Chicken Little.  As a parallel, think of the people in California (near Los Angeles?) whose houses slide down hill in heavy rainstorms.  Isn't that a clear warning signal to change zoning laws to prevent future buildings?  Maybe these people  think that they have to beat people over the head to get their attention, and exaggeration is part of that strategy…

Ja, but exaggeration is a bad strategy.  It causes cynicism, as it did with me.  I saw the original (excellent) Soylent Green movie in 1973 at an impressionable age.  That was the one with Charlton Heston and Chuck Connors, two ass-kickers that we kids liked.  I was age 12 then, but I was delivering papers, so I learned about a big study by a professor at Florida State University who showed that global warming is happening faster than global cooling (well at least that was a big relief.)

But… the setting of the original Soylent Green is this year, 2022.

One can argue that some of the scenes in Soylent Green kinda sorta came true.  There are countless hordes of homeless people, but they don’t all just sit around quietly in New York.  They have clumps of makeshift tents, in Los Angeles.

>…When I was in my 40s I remarked to a friend that a girl student was very attractive.  He pointed out that her mother, who was a librarian, was very attractive herself, and so she was.  Now, at our advanced ages, we can enjoy the attractiveness of their grandmothers.   (I hope it goes no further than this!)  bill w

Ja Billw, because of universal marketing submerging us with constant negative messaging, grandmothers don’t even realize why they are attractive to us, so much more so than the young fashion plates such as that politician who says the world will end in 8 years 3 months if we don’t address climate change.  She has pretty eyes and nice clothes and all that, but she is silly as hell and I don’t want to be around her.  If I saw her, I would surely say something snarky, such as: Madam, I addressed climate change last week.  I said “Well, hello there, Climate Change!”  Then she would get pissed and stomp off.  Problem solved.  As Jack Nicholson would say: Sell crazy somewhere else. We are all stocked up here.

With grandmothers (not including MB’s lunch companion perhaps) you don’t need to turn off your hearing aids to enjoy their company.  Most grandmothers don’t realize how much that is worth to us.  They don’t fully appreciate themselves.  They underestimate their value in this world, all because of marketing.