[ExI] us

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Nov 11 03:39:29 UTC 2022

…> On Behalf Of Tara Maya via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] us

I'm so tired of the doom and gloom. I don't like getting into arguments with people in person, so I'm trying to at least reverse the domination of science fiction by Dystopias. I'm going write, if not Utopias, at least Bright Futures again. I suspect some of you know about the Seastead Movement. I am pretty sure I learned about it on this list.  :)

Anyway, I am working on a series set in on a Seastead and aim it at young adult female readers. Instead of crying about how humans cause all the problems, I want to see fiction that shows humans solving the problems. We used to have a lot more sf like that!

Tara Maya

That’s the spirit Tara.  I think we have every justification for writing sci-fi in which humanity figures out workable solutions to the most vexing problems and creates a terrific planet where nearly everyone doesn’t starve, has a reasonably good chance at success if they grab for it, kinda like a worldwide version of the USA pretty much, which is to say… some people still have lives which suck, but most have it pretty good.  They can get a decent education, they have enough to eat and so on.  Life isn’t yet perfect and life isn’t yet fair but life is good.

Write on!