[ExI] News Flash!

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Nov 13 14:36:07 UTC 2022

...> On Behalf Of MB via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] News Flash!

>...I'm not in California, but we have the same issue here.  Maybe it is a
Food Bank policy?

I've been told it is a "personal pride" or "esteem" thing - that a person
going to a Food Bank should not be forced to accept "out of date"
stuff, but receive best quality stuff.

We also have a grocery like you describe.  Dented banged up out of date
stuff for pennies.  Works for me as they often carry stuff my local regular
grocery does not stock.

... I'm with Gadersd, "food waste" :( ... and I have a family member who
discards anything even a day past the "best by" date - even butter or sugar!
She will not change.  Sometimes I'm the lucky recipient because my son knows
I'll eat it.

Regards,
MB

MB, I can't get it outta my mind.  (Well, I can't get that clothe the naked
business out of my mind either (but hey, you know me (the mental pictures
the whole absurd notion creates are so entertaining (imagine an old lady
with a bag of peanuts feeding a flock of pigeons in the park, then
substitute an old man with cans of tuna and a bag of clothing, then for the
pigeons substitute a flock of... (disregard, the mind boggles.))))

Even if the slightly out of date albacore may not be given to the hungry
(regardless of attire) what about their pets?  Cats loooove albacore even
more than I do.  They go crazy for the stuff.  Dogs like it too.  Our pet
food standards are pressing towards matching in every way human standards,
as you will notice already in the grocery store more and more pet food
labeled human grade.  Note that human grade pet food isn't cheaper than
ordinary human food, it is more expensive.  I am told this decreases the
incentive for people to buy and devour human grade pet food.  Then I ask
what would be wrong with that?

It is easy enough to extrapolate into the future that pet food standards
will match human food standards, which means the factories can be used to
produce either product with similar cleanliness regulations, inspection
requirements and so forth.  So give our companion beasts the outdated canned
goods rather than discard them, ja?  Then just don't worry about the cat's
revolting habit of bringing home dead birds and leaving them on your
doorstep, because the wretched beasts will still do that regardless of how
well-fed they are, for cats are inherently evil.  They take pride in that.
It's a known character flaw in cats.