[ExI] Missile Coordinates

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Nov 17 18:22:35 UTC 2022

...> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat

>...It's a war, remember?  Everybody is lying / producing propaganda.

BillK

BillK, this really has my wheels spinning.  I don't know how this missile business really went down, I don't pretend to have reliable sources for it.  But, being a huge fan of Wag the Dog, to this day one of my top 3 favorite movies, I started thinking of ways they could pull off a gag like they did to distract the press in Wag.

The missile hit way out in the middle of nowhere, but within Poland.  They could get a Ukrainian missile, detonate it out where no one was around, collect up the debris, sneak over into Poland to the latitude of Kiev and longitude of Lviv, scatter the rocket bits around, take a coupla corpses from the local morgue, add some shrapnel wounds, blast a hole in the ground, see if the press falls for it.

Or wait, there is a better way: take an actual perfectly functional missile over close to the border in Ukrainian territory, intentionally enter the coordinates latitude of Kiev, longitude of Lviv, missile lands out in Poland's equivalent of Kalamazoo, blame the commies, for the Ukrainians would not be attempting to bomb their own cities, ja?  The two fatalities would then be accidental, never intending to trigger World War 3.  If it did, then World War 3 would be as accidental as was WW1, which was also said to have been triggered by a double homicide.

Consider how much more sophisticated we are today than we were even as recently as 25 years ago (which was pre-Google (and the internet had waaaaay less information on it.))  Now we really do know a hell of a lot more about a hell of a lot more, but we are far less sure that what we know is accurate information.

In some ways, I liked it better when humanity didn't actually have the ability to destroy modern civilization, a simpler time when nearly all the world's nuclear weapons were not under the control of three guys, none of whom any of us actually trust.