[ExI] lotta splainin to do

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Nov 20 02:57:42 UTC 2022

From: spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com>
…

>…If that shows up, I predict the value of BtC will take off, with new
fortunes being made, just as we watched our friends make piles of money on
it the first time.  My prediction: the credit card step must take place at
some point.  Otherwise, I predict that BtC will not increase in value along
that logarithmic line we saw.  I predict it will level off without a credit
card…spike

Giovanni I have some full disclosin’ to do.

Those who have known me a long time know that I am a big fan of using
background computing, unused computer cycles, to calculate something of
inherent value, such as… Mersenne primes.  There are 51 of these known, but
when Hal and I (and several others) were discussing the possibility of
selling a privately-discovered Mersenne prime, there were only 37 known
(that was in about 1998.  Since then, 14 more of them were discovered so we
get a new one about every coupla years.

However… then BtC came along, and those background computing cycles could
be used to mine BtC, so they had actual monetary value.  Result: we are now
in the longest Mersenne prime desert since an internet group (GIMPS) was
organized to do systematic searching in 1995.  We are coming up on four
years since the last Mersenne prime was discovered.  Result: I am PISSED!  I
am really really annoyed!  I liked it better when those cycles were going
toward discovering an aspect of nature, rather than just making money.

I don’t actually mind, provided I am the one making money of course.  But
otherwise, I want something we can all enjoy: more Mersenne primes.