[ExI] Where is the new space odyssey epic?

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 00:37:58 UTC 2022

On Tue, Nov 29, 2022, 4:43 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> Mike perhaps you will recall my notion of creating an interstellar
> “spacecraft” of sorts by using a Matriosha Brain which redirects most of
> the emitted energy from a star in one direction, thus gently accelerating
> the star in the other direction.  I can reiterate the whole wacky scheme if
> you wish, but it is hard sci-fi: all of it works out and can be shown with
> equations.
>
> It is slow: it takes about 15 million years to haul our star to the
> distance of what is currently the nearest neighboring star.  But hey, we
> can go about our regular business while we are in transit.

15 million years?? So what.  I figure we'll get over this biological phase
soon enough.  Either I'll make it or I won't,  no matter in the biggest
picture.   Even if we need a few millennia to get the gear set up... we've
got plenty of time.