[ExI] flawed humans

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Nov 30 01:02:15 UTC 2022

…

>…I think we agree that humans are innately flawed in many ways.

>…How about other animals?  Are any of them flawed?  In their niche they seem perfectly adapted unless the niche changes a lot.   bill w

I suppose that depends on how you look at it Billw, but I would argue that all known life forms are flawed in that they are mortal.  Even if an organism is one that multiplies by dividing, such that one could argue it is in a sense an immortal being, it too is mortal: given enough time, that species will go extinct, even without external pressure.

On the other hand, if we had some kind of silicon-based consciousness, then we could transfer ourselves over from an old substrate into a newer one, so our existence would continue in a way that one could claim to be the same as it was before the transfer.

This all gets very murky and definition-dependent, so I don’t want to get all tangled up.  Rather I want to help you open your mind, ask questions you never asked, such as that really fundamental question: is consciousness substrate dependent?

Well, all of it we know is on a carbon-based evolution-derived substrate, however… that in itself is insufficient evidence that other substrates cannot be the basis of consciousness.  I don’t see a good reason why it would be impossible for an alternative substrate to be the basis of consciousness.  Do you?