[ExI] Cruise robot taxis in San Francisco

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 20:46:53 UTC 2022

On Sat, Oct 1, 2022 at 1:42 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> So... what happens when most of the traffic is self-driving?  I'll tell ya
> what happens: it trains the proles to just walk across and let the car stop
> for the pedestrian, along with all the traffic behind it.  If ya think it
> is
> a pain in the ass to drive across San Francisco NOW, just wait'll they
> figure out self drivers will just stop and not shoot your silly
> well-deserving ass if you walk across in front of it.  They will figure it
> out.  It can take an hour to drive across SF now.  It will get worse,
> until... they will realize this isn't going to work.

The volume of pedestrian traffic is not nearly high enough to bring car
traffic to a standstill by itself.  Also, jaywalking is still illegal; if
pedestrians get abusive about this, severely inconveniencing people who
have the police chief's ear, expect arrests until the problem goes back
down.