[ExI] LA Times piece on Extropians, transhumanism, longtermism and the writer's mental illness

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Oct 10 17:40:29 UTC 2022

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Max
More via extropy-chat

>. today's LA Times op-Ed piece referencing Extropianism. There's a lot
wrong with it. Below are some brief comments I sent in reply:

Guerrero: I once fell for the fantasy of uploading ourselves. It's a
dangerous myth - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)
<https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2022-10-10/longtermism-climate-change
-elon-musk>

It's about what I'd expect from the L.A. Times! --Max

Thanks Max.  As soon as she started talking about swallowing pills and
relationships with violent men, her credibility with me dropped by two
orders of magnitude.  I don't understand the reasoning of one who claims
that the notion of uploading leads to those things.  Uploading appeals to
me.  That other stuff, even if I substitute my favorite gender, not.

My reasoning goes thus: if uploading is ever a possibility, it will be after
the singularity which hasn't happened (as far as we know) but is in the
future.  It follows that if we pay very close attention to basic and
well-known health principles, eat light, exercise, live right, sleep in your
own bed every night, the fundamental stuff, then we are likely to live
longer, and if so, more likely to live to see the singularity and upload.

Strategy: put away the damn pills, and that violent men business, oy, do
part company with violent anyone of any gender forth-freaking-with (ja I
have long since lost track of how many genders there are now (but no matter
(for we are not here to convert me to being a mod hipster.)))

If we don't live long enough, well, you still get better health out of the
deal anyway, a longer life.  At no real cost!

Sheesh this is simple.