[ExI] history of fashion

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 00:08:23 UTC 2022

On Fri, 14 Oct 2022 at 23:16, spike jones via extropy-chat
> Do pardon, for I am surely asking the wrong crowd, but I am doing a bit of genetic detective work.  We can solve a mystery if we can get an approximate date on this photo.  I know not diddley about fashion, but this photo to me can’t be much earlier than about 1970, because I just don’t recall men wearing plaid trousers before then.
>
> The photo was taken we think in Virginia at a family reunion but all of these people have passed on now.
>
> Are there any among us who can ask their local fashion experts using skirt length, collar styles, belt width, cloth patterns, shoes, hair styles, who can offer us a reasonable estimate of the date on this photo?
> When I hear back I will offer why we need a date, within a year or two if at all possible.  It’s cool.
>
> spike

I don't think you will be able to get a date.  Fashions change by age
of the people (no trendy youngsters in your photo) and by whether it
is a more conservative area of the country.  I might call those
trousers 'checks' rather than more colourful plaids.  Hemlines started
moving above the knee in the 1960s though there are no youngsters
wearing mini-skirts in your photo. If you search for photos of
Virginia 1970 family reunions some look quite similar to yours. I
would guess at 1972 plus or minus 5 years.

BillK