[ExI] Computers are changing humans

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 00:47:48 UTC 2022

On Fri, 21 Oct 2022 at 01:33, Giovanni Santostasi via extropy-chat

> https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/oct/16/dune-subreddit-group-bans-ai-generated-art-for-being-low-effort
> And this article makes an extremely good point. What if went the opposite way and limited people in an absurd way, would their efforts in any field be evaluated differently because of these artificial restrictions?
> Yes, there is a space for that and it is usually a kind of side road show where somebody is chained upside down and is going to shoot an arrow with their mouth or something. But it is just a form of entertainment and not a serious way to make humans compete with each other. Competitions should be all about pushing our limits and seeing what the most trained, motivated humans can do in a given field. Using AI to enhance ourselves should be an essential part of that pushing the limits.
> Giovanni

I agree that using AI to enhance human performance is the way of the future.
But not for solvable problems like chess or Go. Chess and Go programs
can now consistently beat the human world champion in *every* game.
If the human player tries to improve on the chess program suggested
moves, they will make worse suggestions. The most successful method
for chess is to let the computer play the whole game without human
interference.

BillK