[ExI] Computers are changing humans

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Oct 21 01:15:16 UTC 2022

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of
BillK via extropy-chat
Sent: Thursday, 20 October, 2022 5:48 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: BillK <pharos at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Computers are changing humans

On Fri, 21 Oct 2022 at 01:33, Giovanni Santostasi via extropy-chat

> https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/oct/16/dune-subreddit-group-bans
> -ai-generated-art-for-being-low-effort
> And this article makes an extremely good point. What if went the opposite
way and limited people in an absurd way, would their efforts in any field be
evaluated differently because of these artificial restrictions?...

>...I agree that using AI to enhance human performance is the way of the
future.
But not for solvable problems like chess or Go. Chess and Go programs can
now consistently beat the human world champion in *every* game.
If the human player tries to improve on the chess program suggested moves,
they will make worse suggestions. The most successful method for chess is to
let the computer play the whole game without human interference.

BillK

That's right BillK.  We have computer chess tournaments going on constantly,
where the best software plays the best software.  I will freely admit they
play some astonishing games, but I don't follow it much.  I do follow the
top humans however.

Note that sports betting is becoming more accepted over time.  The betting
on the human chess is way higher on all axes: volume of shares traded,
number of people betting, and amounts bet.  The top software not so much.
This tournament where Niemann apparently somehow hid a computing device up
his ass was a big money tournament.  So it does matter, and it also is
likely the end for money human vs human tournaments.  Sigh.

That being said, I still want to see robot motorcycle races, which as far as
I know still don't exist, but they are coming:

https://youtu.be/miZ2lAKG9Fc

Humans such as Rossi are still comfortably faster, a lot faster, but that
1:17 is likely faster than I can ride that lap.  I would like to try
however.  I just noticed this race with Motobot was five years ago.  I also
noted that Motobot was racing on an unmodified stock bike that ordinary
proles can buy at the local shop.  This is gonna be a lotta fun when they
get these mechanical beasts on a good AMA superbike or race it at Isle of
Man TT, oh mercy that will be just wicked cool.