[ExI] elon on twitter

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 13:20:57 UTC 2022

On Sat, 29 Oct 2022 at 14:01, spike jones via extropy-chat

> In a country where free speech is codified in a document which acknowledges natural rights that predate and supersede government, we are still struggling to define the differences and similarities between a publisher and a platform.  It is all about who takes responsibility for content.
>
> Regarding anonymous posting, if that is allowed, it is a path to destroy a platform.  We are seeing it already, with some apparently anti-Musk Twitter users anonymously struggling to get their accounts frozen or suspended by making Twitter a hellscape, posting pro-Nazi transphobic tweets.
>
> It is clear enough to me what they are doing.  Any platform can be vandalized.  Any publisher will require power that will be abused.  The difference is who is accountable.
>
> Knowing it comes with a severe cost, I must side with ending anonymous posting.  If Twitter is to be a platform, the content providers must bear responsibility for their own posts.  Otherwise it becomes a publisher.
>
> spike

In many countries the anonymous posters are the good guys.
Surely your advanced automatic content moderation should stop Nazi
posts before they are published?
Attack the content - not the poster!
If bad behaviour persists the anon poster can be banned.
Though if the country has a fascist inclined government where Nazi
posts are approved, perhaps the only solution is to remove Twitter
from that country.

BillK