[ExI] elon on twitter

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Oct 29 14:07:40 UTC 2022

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of
BillK via extropy-chat

On Sat, 29 Oct 2022 at 14:01, spike jones via extropy-chat

>>... It is clear enough to me what they are doing.  Any platform can be
vandalized.  Any publisher will require power that will be abused.  The
difference is who is accountable.

> Knowing it comes with a severe cost, I must side with ending anonymous
posting.  If Twitter is to be a platform, the content providers must bear
responsibility for their own posts.  Otherwise it becomes a publisher.

> spike

>...In many countries the anonymous posters are the good guys.
Surely your advanced automatic content moderation should stop Nazi posts
before they are published?
Attack the content - not the poster!
If bad behaviour persists the anon poster can be banned.
Though if the country has a fascist inclined government where Nazi posts are
approved, perhaps the only solution is to remove Twitter from that country.

BillK

Of course, and I agree BillK.

The real heart of the matter is this: in the states, we have legal
protections for platforms that do not apply to publishers.  Twitter has
enjoyed the legal protections of a platform while simultaneously wielding
the power of a publisher.

Ja?

This goes on as long as the publisher publishes according to the wishes of
the US government, specifically the legislature.  However... we have an
election in ten days, in which the party in power is likely to change.

Then what?

Does Twitter become a platform which allows the other party to do unto
others as was done unto them?  Is that where this is heading?  Is everyone
OK with that?