[ExI] Ukrainian astronomers systematically studying UFOs over warzone

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sun Sep 18 08:40:11 UTC 2022

On 18/09/2022 00:32, Henry Rivera wrote:
> This is the opposite of them sending drones or lifeless machines.

I'm not going to comment on the whole subject of 'UFOs', but the above
phrase caught my attention. I very much doubt that the proposed machines
could be called 'lifeless'. We are machines, and I'd fully expect these
to be more advanced ones, made out of different materials than we are.

We only have the habit of associating the word 'machine' with 'lifeless'
because the ones we can make so far (apart from other humans, and we
haven't figured out how that works yet) aren't alive. At some point, the
machines we make will be very much alive. Probably more so than we
water-and-protein machines.

What does the word 'life' mean anyway? It's really just a matter of
complexity in particular kinds of systems, if you think about it (and if
you don't subscribe to any magical 'lifeforce' ideas, which I'm sure
most of us here don't. (Apart from the "an exact copy of you isn't you"
crowd, of course. But let's not go there!)).

Ben