[ExI] Coffee consumption linked to increased longevity

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Sep 29 00:39:35 UTC 2022

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of William Flynn Wallace via extropy-chat
Sent: Wednesday, 28 September, 2022 5:22 PM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: William Flynn Wallace <foozler83 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] Coffee consumption linked to increased longevity

>…I didn't know you were a coffeeist…

Im not really, but I do enjoy guzzling the stuff.  It’s my only drug.

>…Coffee beans have over 1000 chemicals in them, who knows what they do? Tea leaves are probably just as complex…

I wasn’t aware of that but kinda suspected there must be a lotta psychoactive stuff in there, in trace amounts.  My theory on it is that the coffee plant had millions of years to evolve a seed that beasts generally do not like to devour.  A bitter flavor often works, but some beasts may develop a liking for it (we did.)  The stimulating effect of caffeine is something that most beasts might find offensive, but we like it.

That chemical defense that one particular very capable species adores turned out to be just the right thing, for coffee managed to replicate itself endlessly as a result.

>…There probably are psychological reasons for the difference between tea and coffee drinkers.   bill w

Ja, thanks for that Billw.