[ExI] (no subject)

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Apr 1 18:43:20 UTC 2023

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] (no subject)

On Sat, Apr 1, 2023, 7:24 AM spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org <mailto:extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> > wrote:

Only a few governments have the authority to do something like that: China, North Korea, Cuba, maybe a few other little guys, none of which are currently big competitors in AI.

>…China is a big competitor.  Maybe or maybe not Russia too (and possibly Iran these days), but China is the "other" that would most likely keep going if we did try to ban AI development…

Adrian that was what I was thinking when I asked about large language models in non-English languages, such as Mandarin.

A Mandarin speaking neighbor said there is a small fraction of the internet available in Mandarin, a tiny fraction of what is available in English, and even a lot of that was written by American and European based Chinese expatriates.  His notion was that even people living in China really need to learn English in order to take advantage of what is already there on the internet.

Well, ok then.  Suppose they do, recognizing that so much more AI training material is available in English, and for that matter, biological intelligence training material is more available in English  (we should start calling it AI and BI.)  If so, perhaps China is facing a dilemma: use their own enemy’s culture and language to train AIs and their own BI, the little commies?  Or try to make do with a limited Mandarin language base?

I don’t know what I would do if I were Dear Commie.  Adrian, what would you do in that case?