[ExI] Elon Musk, Emad Mostaque, and other AI leaders sign open letter to 'Pause Giant AI Experiments'

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sat Apr 1 19:30:28 UTC 2023

On 01/04/2023 16:51, Spike wrote:

> Before long (if it hasn’t already happened) someone will figure out
> how to generate art using AI, then use a slightly modified flatbed
> printer-like device which will pick up paint brushes and put paint on
> canvas.
>
> Next step, someone shows up at an art show displaying that, it begins
> to sell, the artist becomes famous. It is the art world’s version of
> the science world’s threat of realistic-looking counterfeit research
> papers.

It has already happened, has been happening for some while.

But I don't think that has any parallels with counterfeit research papers.

Counterfeit research papers don't have any actual research behind them.
They are lies (and dangerous ones!). If they do have actual research
behind them, they're not counterfeit.

AI-generated works of art may be lied about (if someone claims they
weren't created by an AI, but by a human), but they aren't in themselves
lies, and they aren't dangerous. Except perhaps to the egos or illusions
of certain inflexible people.

Science has real-world consequences (usually). Art is entertainment.
Faking things is part and parcel of making art, but you you fake science
at your peril - as Elizabeth Holmes has discovered.

Ben