[ExI] Seastead Girl - the novel

Tara Maya tara at taramayastales.com
Sun Apr 2 00:10:41 UTC 2023

I don't mind the question, but it's always a bit of a crapshoot with a new series.

The demographic I'm aiming for is 15-34 year old English-fluent females. Other people will read it, but that's who I expect to be the core readership. (Hey, if young men or older or younger readers enjoy it too, I'll be thrilled.) In the US, that population is around 40 million. However, only about three percent of those enjoy reading novels, so let's cut that promising number down to 1.2 million POTENTIAL readers. How many can I reach?

My advertising budget is basically word of mouth and a few blog tours, so the answer is: few. Also, the truth is that science fiction readers are more likely to be male, so I've limited my potential readers by trying to make the books of interest to girls.

I've published books before and have a pretty devoted fan base, but they are fantasy readers. How many will follow me into science fiction? I'm not sure.

However, I'm Indie author, so my sales strategy is long tail. That means I don't have to worry about selling only a few copies--or even NONE--in the first weeks. I can afford to wait years.

If this series does as well as my fantasy series, I can expect each book to sell around 10,000 copies... over ten years. With my fantasy series, the first book sold one copy in the first month it was published, but the 9th book sold 800 copies in the first day it was published. So, over time, people have found the series.

I really enjoy writing science fiction, so I hope this series will do well, but we'll see!

Tara Maya