[ExI] What is Consciousness?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 20:55:38 UTC 2023

Hi Rafael,
I'm still failing to communicate the point.  Let me try this.  Physical
properties can be used as 'codes' to represent information, as long as you
have a dictionary defining those codes.  Redness is a physical property
which can represent, or be a code for 'red' information.  If you put a
red/green signal inverter between the retina and optic nerve, this changes
the dictionary so the code for 'red', becomes a greenness physical
property.  The question is, which of all our descriptions of stuff in the
brain is a description of that greenness quality, that is now a code for
red?

If "The specificity of coding for colors comes from their location within
the neural net", what is it that makes one location have a physical redness
quality, and the other code for red location have a greenness quality?
This is what you are ignoring.

P.S.  We added Color-tuned neurons are spatially clustered according to
color preference within alert macaque posterior inferior temporal cortex
<https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.0810943106> as another example
of problematic observation of
color qualities in the brain
<https://canonizer.com/topic/603-Color-Exprnc-Observation-Issue/1-Agreement>,
that is preventing us from knowing the true qualities of things, rather
than the color qualities things just seem to be.

On Fri, Mar 31, 2023 at 4:01 AM Rafal Smigrodzki via extropy-chat <