[ExI] GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 18:23:38 UTC 2023

Sorry I was quoting Will there, who is hostile toward me despite no
provocation.

The symbol grounding problem is a question in philosophy about how symbols
and words acquire meanings. The answer, broadly, is that it requires
conscious experience of the objects and ideas that words represent, i.e.,
experience of the referents. ChatGPT was clearly trained on philosophical
texts and reports that because it has no conscious experience, it has no
true understanding of words; i.e., it has no way to ground symbols and
knows only about the statistical patterns and relations between them.

-gts