[ExI] Holding contradictory beliefs is very common

William Flynn Wallace foozler83 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 20:19:41 UTC 2023

Thanks! But if they say that a person can walk around with
conscious cognitive dissonance and just ignore it with no consequences, I
will disagree with them.  Dissonance is a feeling of conflict,and therefore
there is no such thing as unconscious dissonance.  Dissonance only occurs
when the conflict is conscious.  Anxiety is usually there, and that is
something you physically feel.  I do think that your unconscious can
overlook your conscious mind and produce some memory/belief that leaks into
your conscious mind, like something trying to escape for repression a la
Freud.  But the last time I looked (quite a while) repression still had no
experimental evidence for it.  The idea of unconscious conflicts, the
resolution of which was the goal of psychoanalysis, was that mental energy
was tied up in the fighting ideas.  I don't think that idea has any
physical basis.  Energy just doesn't sit there.  Neuron centers don't just
idle like reverberating circuits, trying to get expressed.  bill w

On Wed, Apr 5, 2023 at 2:38 PM BillK via extropy-chat <