[ExI] GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 22:01:47 UTC 2023

Gordon,
Common sense is completely useless in this discussion because it is a
pretty deep subject that goes beyond what our common sense tells us.
You may be done with me on this subject but it is a public forum and if you
post on it I will reply anyway mostly to point out things I consider deeply
wrong. I know also that most of your positions are based on a priori stance
on these subjects mostly that only humans can be conscious that is an idea
based on religious beliefs.

This is a very important topic that I think will be more and more crucial
as machines do become indeed conscious and autonomous and this event is
going to be the most revolutionary in the history of humankind.
Our stances on this topic are going to create social, economical, and
political disruption and strife, and hopefully, it will not lead to
destructive wars and revolutions.
I cannot imagine a more important and relevant topic to discuss and to
correctly think and feel about. I think your position is quite dangerous
because it seems stuck on some pre-conceived ideas that are exclusionary
and quite rigid.

Giovanni