[ExI] GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 22:39:12 UTC 2023

On Wed, Apr 5, 2023, 6:31 PM Giovanni Santostasi via extropy-chat <

> Gordon,
> Common sense is completely useless in this discussion because it is a
> pretty deep subject that goes beyond what our common sense tells us.
> You may be done with me on this subject but it is a public forum and if
> you post on it I will reply anyway mostly to point out things I consider
> deeply wrong. I know also that most of your positions are based on a priori
> stance on these subjects mostly that only humans can be conscious that is
> an idea based on religious beliefs.

I don't know if this is the basis of Gordon's beliefs on the matter or not,
but assuming it is, I e question I think worth contemplating is:

"If God can put a soul into a human body, could he not also put a soul into
an android body?"

> This is a very important topic that I think will be more and more crucial
> as machines do become indeed conscious and autonomous and this event is
> going to be the most revolutionary in the history of humankind.
> Our stances on this topic are going to create social, economical, and
> political disruption and strife, and hopefully, it will not lead to
> destructive wars and revolutions.
> I cannot imagine a more important and relevant topic to discuss and to
> correctly think and feel about. I think your position is quite dangerous
> because it seems stuck on some pre-conceived ideas that are exclusionary
> and quite rigid.

Great point. This is perhaps the most important philosophical question of
our time.

Jason