[ExI] GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 03:26:18 UTC 2023

Frankly I am dumbfounded and flabbergasted that any intelligent person
would question my statement  "Words mean things. In the absence of those
things that they mean, they have no meanings."

How do you all think you communicate here on ExI or IRL? You use words that
mean things to you and which you expect will mean very similar things to
others. The word-symbols that you write or utter are merely the vehicles
for the meanings. Words without meanings are no more than, well,
meaningless nonsense.

-gts