[ExI] GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 04:49:18 UTC 2023

Also this article. It uses a bunch of technical terms that are in the field
of linguistics and I understand them less than the mathematical and
geometrical terms that Wolfram uses but supposedly there are theories of
linguistics that say referents are not necessary for meaning.

https://ndpr.nd.edu/reviews/reference-without-referents/

There is a language without nouns or verbs:

https://academic.oup.com/book/26032/chapter-abstract/193927159?redirectedFrom=fulltext

Reality without Reference:
https://www.jstor.org/stable/42969748

Here from a philosophical point of view:

   -
   Email Mark Richard
   <richard4 at fas.harvard.edu>

Toggle author information panelAbstract
Most linguists and philosophers will tell you that whatever meaning is, it
determines the reference of names, the satisfaction conditions of nouns and
verbs, the truth conditions of sentences; in linguist speak, meaning
determines semantic value. So a change in semantic value implies a change
in meaning. So the semantic value a meaning determines is essential to that
meaning: holding contributions from context constant, if two words have
different semantic values they cannot mean the same thing. If this is
correct, then in a fairly straightforward sense reference is essential to
meaning. In this paper I argue that reference is not essential to meaning
by giving an example in which groups in different circumstances use a
phrase with the same meaning but a different reference.
Is Reference Essential to Meaning?
Authors:

   - Mark Richard
[...]

I mean all what it takes is to Google "Language without referents" and you
get hundreds of hits.
Giovanni