[ExI] Uploads on a Postcard

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Thu Apr 6 17:14:30 UTC 2023

On 06/04/2023 16:50, gadersd wrote:
> It should be no surprise that the workings of the mind would be fundamentally simple. It must be simple enough to encode on DNA if not a postcard after all.

Well, that's encouraging. For mind-uploading, I mean. I don't remember
who first suggested it, but it seems feasible that, if we have a generic
Human Mind Template, that basically reproduces this
common-to-all-human-brains structure, any individual mind would be a set
of variations that can be applied to it. So mind-uploading wouldn't
require scanning every single connection and weighting in the brain, but
just the crucial ones that represent what makes someone an individual,
applied to the 'standard human model'.

Once we've figured out what they are!

Figuring out the template will probably be quite difficult, but once
done, it's done, and can be used for everyone who wishes to be uploaded.
Once that's done, establishing what makes an individual different from
the template will be an extension of the same procedure, but hopefully
involving less data. Possibly a lot less. Maybe Greg Egan's concept of
people beaming themselves around the galaxy as mind-states encoded on
gamma ray lasers might be possible after all, one day.

Ben