[ExI] Uploads on a Postcard (was: GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem)

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Thu Apr 6 20:32:57 UTC 2023

On 06/04/2023 19:49, bill w wrote:
> Simple??? You think humans are simple?  Our brains are the most
> complex thing in the universe and the more psychology tries to
> understand it, the more complex it becomes.

I'm not denying that our brains are massively complex (as you say, the
most complex in the universe (so far, as far as we know)). I'm saying
that it could be easier than we currently think, to unravel enough of
how our minds work, to make it possible to figure out a 'generic model,
plus individual variables' method of achieving uploading.

I'm pretty sure, for one thing, that our brains are a lot more complex
than they need to be, simply because they evolved rather than being
designed. Secondly, the whole brain isn't necessary for what we are
interested in for uploading: the individual personality. I doubt that
the brainstem, for example contributes anything significant to
individual personality (in a healthy individual, that is).

Embodiment is going to be essential for any upload of course, but that
embodiment doesn't have to be controlled by a brain-analogue, with all
its messy complexities. Probably better if it's run by bunch of
traditional software that we understand and can tailor much easier than
tinkering with a brain model (this will be true whether the embodiment
is in a physical or a virtual body. My preference would be for a fusion
of both, but that's another topic).

We can already create pretty good software that does the same thing as
the cerebellum, and I don't doubt the motor and sensory cortices have
enough regularities to make them tractable, simplifieable, and an
equivalent created in normal software.

That leaves the core of our mental selves: memory (the general
mechanisms, that is), that attention-directing network, I forget what
it's called, all those recursive loops between the thalamus and cortex,
and so on. Still complex, yes, but less so than the entire brain. And if
we can derive a 'standard model' of this, a generic system that everyone
is based on, then all that's left (still a lot, I know, but nothing like
the brain as a whole) is whatever creates the individual differences
between people. I'd expect a lot of that will be the actual contents of
our memories, so that might be a good target to start with.

You say "the more psychology tries to understand it, the more complex it
becomes", which is fair enough, but I'm not proposing to go anywhere
near psychology. This is neurology. The psychology emerges out of that,
and may be very complex indeed, but that doesn't need to be addressed
directly.

An artist tries to carefully draw each individual curve in a lissajous
pattern, but a scientist just plugs in x=A\sin,\quad y=B\sin (or some
such arcane mathematical formula (I don't pretend to understand it)) to
a system capable of executing the formula and displaying the result on a
screen. You get the same complexity (if the artist is good enough), but
one approach is far simpler, and quicker, than the other.

So what I'm saying is not that our brains are simple, but that emulating
them (or rather the appropriate parts of them) might well turn out to be
simpler than we expected.

Another analogy is John Conway's Game of Life. Endless complexity, but
the code for generating it is so simple that even I can write one from
scratch (and my coding expertise is very rudimentary).

Of course, I may be wrong, and we may need every bit of the brain after
all, and be forced to take the artist's approach. I haven't seen any
evidence of that so far, though.

Ben